Job: Director of Finance and Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner and report to the Executive Director. The Director will provide leadership and coordination in the administrative, human resources, finance, budgeting, and accounting areas of Working Partnerships USA and our 501c4 Silicon Valley Rising Action. This position will play a critical role in collaborating with senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and operations as we continue to enhance our campaign and program impacts in the years to come. The Director will be a point of contact for external partners, including our bookkeeping firm, manage the flow of information and project details internally, and supervise other finance and administrative team members.
Working Partnerships USA is a community organization bringing together the power of grassroots organizing and public policy innovation to drive the movement for a just economy. We build the capacity of workers, low-income neighborhoods and communities of color to lead and govern. Based in Silicon Valley, we tackle the root causes of inequality and poverty by leading collaborative campaigns for quality jobs, healthy communities, equitable growth and a democracy that works for all. We are co-founders of Silicon Valley Rising, which is fighting to inspire the tech industry to build an inclusive, middle class.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management / reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Administration and Human Resources
- Develop and manage the organizations’ human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administration functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, gender, economic and environmental justice
- 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and administrative management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience with final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division of significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resource function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem- solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to our mission of building a multi-racial, feminist democracy and economy for all.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sit, bend, and reach with hands and arms.
- Lift approximately 20-25 lbs. on occasion.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Stand and move throughout the office.
- Have consistent and reliable attendance.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual sills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Compensation & Location
This position is based in San Jose, California. Annual salary range for this position is $95,000-$120,000 based on experience. Generous benefits package, including full family health insurance and 401(k). This is a full-time, exempt position and an excellent opportunity for those seeking career advancement over time.
Working Partnerships USA is an affirmative action employer, and we strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ, and all qualified persons to apply for this position. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer broader societal discrimination.