Job: Lead Organizer, Gig Workers Rising
Working Partnerships USA seeks a skilled and motivated Lead Organizer to join our Gig Workers Rising team.
Started in 2018, Gig Workers Rising is building a powerful, multiracial movement of gig economy workers who are organizing to win the rights, wages and treatment that all working people are due. GWR is a political and movement home for gig workers to organize, build power and win campaigns for economic and racial justice.
Gig Workers Rising seeks a dynamic, skilled and visionary Lead Organizer to lead our campaign supporting low wage tech workers organizing to take on some of the most powerful corporations of our time. Gig corporations like Uber, Lyft, DoorDash and Instacart want to determine the future of work in this country as one where workers are managed by algorithms, paid poverty wages and denied the right to collectively bargain. At Gig Workers Rising, we support workers who are fighting for an economy that works for all of us, not just a wealthy few.
Because gig workers work mostly in isolation, on their phones and in their cars, our organizing takes place both online and offline. The ideal candidate is a seasoned organizer with traditional and digital organizing skills, who is a big-picture thinker, coalition-builder and strategic campaigner. The successful candidate will be committed to growing worker leadership, capacity and power, able to identify hot issues among a disparate workforce, and able to plan and execute powerful worker-led actions. This position requires tenacity, a spirit of innovation and the ability to execute a strategic campaign in collaboration with staff, member leaders and allies.
Working Partnerships USA is a community organization bringing together the power of grassroots organizing and public policy innovation to drive the movement for a just economy. We build the capacity of workers, low-income neighborhoods and communities of color to lead and govern. Based in Silicon Valley, we tackle the root causes of inequality and poverty by leading collaborative campaigns for quality jobs, healthy communities, equitable growth and a democracy that works for all. We are co-founders of Silicon Valley Rising which is fighting to inspire the tech industry to build an inclusive middle class.
- Grow and engage our base of Bay Area gig workers and support workers in driving campaigns, actions and policies to transform the gig economy and create the political climate necessary for these workers to win essential rights in their workplace.
- Drive the recruitment, development and maintenance of a worker leader committee that grows worker organizing skills, sharpens shared analysis, and generates bold action.
- Design and execute a sophisticated and winning campaign strategy alongside the worker organizing committee, GWR staff, and allies. This may include joint strategy meetings, joint actions or other events, relationship building, etc.
- Organize direct actions, meetings, events, and other tactics to move the campaign forward and train workers on how to do the same.
- Coordinate campaign messaging, traditional media work, mass communications, and digital organizing with GWR’s communications team.
- Utilize metrics including wall charts and databases to track members, participation and progress towards achieving campaign goals and teach workers to do the same.
- And other responsibilities that may arise.
- 5 years of labor or community organizing experience, including proven ability to build and manage organizing committees and to mobilize constituents.
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, stay organized, discern priorities, set goals, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects.
- Strong willingness to learn, adapt, take feedback and implement changes in real time.
- Strong track record of winning concrete campaign victories.
- Experience with power analysis/power mapping, strategy and campaign development.
- Experience with base building, one-on-ones, leadership development and mobilization.
- Proficiency using digital tools like peer-to-peer text systems, social media and apps to support organizing and communications.
- Strong data and database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy.
- Spanish or Arabic language skills are strongly desired, but not required.
- Ability to work varied hours including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- Familiarity with the gig economy/tech and issues facing gig workers and other low-wage workers, and hunger to use innovative organizing models for worker power.
- Must have a car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and travel as needed on a regular basis.
- Commitment to racial and economic justice.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sit, bend, and reach with hands and arms.
- Lift approximately 20-25 lbs. on occasion.
- Stand and move throughout the office.
- Have consistent and reliable attendance.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients or employees of the organization.
- Climb stairs and steps.
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment.
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
Salary & Benefits
This position is based in the Bay Area with frequent travel to San Jose required. The salary for this position is $68,000 - $80,000, plus a generous benefits package, including full family health insurance, dental, vision and 401(k). This is a regular, full-time, exempt position with opportunity for advancement over time.
Working Partnerships USA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Working Partnerships USA is an affirmative action employer, and we strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ, and all qualified persons to apply for this position. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer broader societal discrimination.